Views
Helpful
Replies

Uninstalling AMP connector from Cloud

Antonio Macia
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

For those use cases where the administrators don't have access or no longer manages the computer, is it possible to trigger a connector uninstall from the Cloud?

Let's say that a laptop is stolen and we don't want to keep this connector consuming licenses or generating events. Or, with BYOD, the company let their employees install the connector on their personal computer, but once the employee leaves the company, the connector must be uninstalled remotely.

What is the approach for this?

Regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thomas Busch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
At this current time, there is not a way to do a cloud-based uninstall. What you can do however and place the computer into a separate group which has a fairly restrictive policy (Application control for a common program, block common IPs, etc). While it won't guarantee a user will uninstall it increases the chances of it happening.

You can also ensure to delete computer objects that have not checked in for over 30 days by filtering those machines out on the computer page and subsequently removing those that haven't checked in to ensure you don't have allocated licenses to old/unused machines.

View solution in original post

Troja007
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @Antonio Macia,

the remote uninstall from the AMP endpoint is important. You may ask your Cisco representative if there are more infos available.
Just a Hint. ;-)

BTW, your Cisco representatives can open a Feature Request for you if you see missing features in our product.

Greetings,

Thorsten

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't believe this can be done from the console. We can trigger an upgrade remotely on an otherwise unmanaged computer but not an uninstall.

Thomas Busch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
At this current time, there is not a way to do a cloud-based uninstall. What you can do however and place the computer into a separate group which has a fairly restrictive policy (Application control for a common program, block common IPs, etc). While it won't guarantee a user will uninstall it increases the chances of it happening.

You can also ensure to delete computer objects that have not checked in for over 30 days by filtering those machines out on the computer page and subsequently removing those that haven't checked in to ensure you don't have allocated licenses to old/unused machines.

Troja007
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @Antonio Macia,

the remote uninstall from the AMP endpoint is important. You may ask your Cisco representative if there are more infos available.
Just a Hint. ;-)

BTW, your Cisco representatives can open a Feature Request for you if you see missing features in our product.

Greetings,

Thorsten

Thanks Thorsten, I'll do. 

In my opinion is a very important feature for the uses cases I mentioned above.

Any further updates from Cisco on this topic.  We are up against our 50,000 seat license and have multiple sites where we would like to initiate and uninstall.  Most of the places had to be installed manually so we can't even use something like SCCM.   

Hi,

No news no this topic so far :(

Hello @rmeyers23,

sent you a private Message.

Greetings,

Thorsten

I would love to get an update on this as well.  We would love to take advantage of the offer from Cisco to over provision during the Covid-19 crisis.  Without a way to either block clients from console that have been installed on byod devices it will be impossible.

I thought about placing them in a policy, then deleting the policy when this is over.   If the computer is a member of no policy it should not count against license.

HI @g.osborne ,

Thanks for the input. If the connector is removed from the cloud it does not count as a license, indeed. However, I think that even if you remove the policy, next time the connector connect with the cloud it will the fall under a default policy or such. Let me know if that approach works. 

Regards.

Troja007
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello all,

I´m aware this is a missing feature in our product. If you send me a private message including your company name, size and maybe some info, why this feature is necessary, i will open a Feature Request for you.

Greetings,

Thorsten

ppreenja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Below enhancement request raised seems to be in place for remotely uninstalling AMP for endpoint connector:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvq81718

I hope that helps answers the query.

Cheers,
Pratham

Thank you Pratham.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: