cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC 6.2 Portscan alerting

Brett Walters
Level 1
Level 1

This may be an obvious answer - as in a bad idea - but is there no way to have the FMC/FPwr sensors generate an email alert when being portscanned?  The policy is working and dropping traffic as it should, and has been - but I can't find the proper item to enable to get it to email like it does for other malware events and email attacks.

And as a side note - shouldn't it drop traffic leaving the network like this?  It definitely drops incoming port scans, but if you port scan out, it doesn't seem to care.  Maybe a missed configuration - but if something internally decided to scan out, it would be good to block or know about it.

11 Replies 11

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4

I will take a look - it just didn't make sense I can get alerts on a ton of other things, but not that.

I am also looking for this feature.  It seems that it used to be available based on:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/60/configuration/guide/fpmc-config-guide-v60/Detecting_Specific_Threats.html#ID-2236-0000021b

However when I try to follow the instructions I get to Policies/Intrusion and had to create the Network Analysis Policy.  I only had the Initial inline policy listed. 

After creating the Network Analysis Policy I tried to continue with the instructions.  I don't see a Settings however I do see an Advanced Settings so I selected that. I do not see Portscan Detection under Specific Threat Detection. All I have is Sensitive Data Detection.  I am stuck at this point.

I haven't forgotten this - just tied up with a huge Mobility Controller issue at the same site.

See attached.  This is when I edit my Network Analysis Policy.  Settings should be top left (you have to click on it to see the options), and Portscan Detection is down a bit.

capture.pngcapture.pngI apparently have a different view. 

You are in the Intrusion Policy. Not the network analysis policy. :-)

Policies > Access Control > Intrusion > Network Analysis Policy in the top right >Create or Edit that policy.

Well don't I feel foolish.  I have a Network Analysis Policy listed under the Intrusion Policy.  I suppose I should remove that one. 

Heh, not at all.  It's not like it is a simple or logical process flow to deploy FMC!

Well I was able to make the proper changes with your guidance however I have not yet seen any report so not sure if it worked yet.

Thank you

You should be able to see it in the events before waiting for a report, if you know a portscan is taking place.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card