cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question : Is there a way to do a Direct SQL write using AFCs

Nelson Peavy
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to integrate a service that will pull values from an external database table. Also, we would like another service to be able to update those database table values.

We are looking to integrate a service that will pull  values from an external database table.   Also, we would like another service to be able to update those database table values.  Example.    Service for ordering a Blackberry, depending on some values selected (type, model, carrier, etc) would then be able to have a pricing structure pulled in from an external table.   We would like for the non technical people to be given access to another service, with which they could simply enter the data via submitting a requisition that would update the table with the data that the previous service would then be able to access.

I had a few thoughts:  ISF code to executing a SQL Update, a service Link Integration that would push data to an external webservice that would then update the table,  but I am specifically asking if the OOTB AFCs can be levearagted using congured datasource to write to that table instead of just read from it.

1 Reply 1

Ant Erickson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nelson,

The answer using SQL purely we've had is 'No' - the sql driver implementation only supports basic Select functionality.  Our requirements were more along the lines of more complex SQL calls (common table expressions, etc) but the same constraint applied.

We got around it by having a function created on the SQL server which accepted 2 parameters and returned a handful of fields so in an onLoad AFC for us, we have 'findmanager(#namespace#,'char') and then map it to some fields.  I think it could be applied here, a function that accepts X parameters and writes them in to a table for you at the onSubmit moment or some such.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ant