cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SR520W IPv6 support on Dot11Radio interface

ilari.stenroth
Level 1
Level 1

Does Cisco Secure Router 520W support IPv6 on Dot11Radio (WLAN) interface?

I have SR520W-FE-K9 (VID: V03, Hw Revision: 0x400) and I can not enable IPv6 on Dot11Radio 0 inteface.

I can enable IPv6 on Vlan interfaces and I'm able to ping/traceroute/ssh over IPv6 from the router.

SR520(config)#interface Dot11Radio 0
SR520(config-if)#ipv6 address 2002:xxxx:yyyy::2/64
                    ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

The system image version I use is sr520-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T5.bin.

Am I doing something wrong or is the IPv6 support missing from Dot11Radio interface?

Is there any possibility to get IPv6 connectivity on my WLAN by the World IPv6 Day?

Regards,

Ilari Stenroth

Espoo, Finland

3 Replies 3

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, the SR520W does not have IPv6 support on the wireless interface.

Since it shares a code base with platforms that do, the ipv6 commands were erroneously included in the software you are using.

The following bug was submitted to remove the commands from the interface:

CSCeh80851    Remove ipv6 commands under dot11 interface

More modern wirelss platforms running the 15.1 software seem like they can run IPv6 by way of the BVI interface, but this requires that the software in CSCta27529 be integrated.  The SR520W is incapable of rulling software later than the 12.4T branch.  However, I have not tested this configuration in the lab.

That's a pity. One would think that the device can route IPv6 over wireless according to the data sheets which states that the device is IPv6 capable and doesn't mention that wireless interface is an exception.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9305/data_sheet_c78-484356.html

Otherwise SR520W is really excellent router for my home network

Regards,

Ilari

Yes, it is very disappointing.  It is a limitation that comes from the chipset of that model, and that is regrettable.

I will alert the product managers about the lack of clarity in the data sheet, thanks for pointing that out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: