cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x Authentntication for Zero Clients??

vanyeh2007
Level 1
Level 1

I need some ideas and strategies on deploying zero clients to a network with 802.1x authentication. Our network consists of Cisco ISE and Microsoft AD.

1, What do I need to authenticate the machines and users?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
My two cents on your scenario/question:

You need to determine if your zero clients support 8021x. As a fallback you could always simply run mab for the clients and then rely on AD for user authentication. If the clients do not support 8021x and you use the fallback idea you would be pushing policy based strictly on the clients and not your users. IF the clients support 8021x then you will need to then determine what type of protocols they are able to support. That would give you an idea if you can run 8021x and authenticate both the user and comp. If user+comp authentication is your desire most environments I have seen would run eap-chaining, which requires the eap-fast protocol which means you need anyconnect NAM. However, I would be willing to bet that the zero client/s do not support NAM. Anyways, this should be pretty straight forward if the clients do not support 8021x. Good luck and HTH!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
My two cents on your scenario/question:

You need to determine if your zero clients support 8021x. As a fallback you could always simply run mab for the clients and then rely on AD for user authentication. If the clients do not support 8021x and you use the fallback idea you would be pushing policy based strictly on the clients and not your users. IF the clients support 8021x then you will need to then determine what type of protocols they are able to support. That would give you an idea if you can run 8021x and authenticate both the user and comp. If user+comp authentication is your desire most environments I have seen would run eap-chaining, which requires the eap-fast protocol which means you need anyconnect NAM. However, I would be willing to bet that the zero client/s do not support NAM. Anyways, this should be pretty straight forward if the clients do not support 8021x. Good luck and HTH!

vanyeh2007
Level 1
Level 1

Zero clients support 802.1x EAP-TLS protocol. It supports machine or user authentication. It does support NAM so EAP-chaining won't work.

1. Can I add these zero clients to a Domain?

2. If answer for question 1 is 'No', then what do I use for zero client machine authentication using 802.1x?

yes, you can add zero clients to the domain and can do machine authentication.

1. Create a condition like if machine authentication succeeds,give limited access & redirect to the web portal.

2. In portal verify whether the user is a domain user or not & provide access accordingly.

-Aravind

-Aravind

Mike.Cifelli's points are valid.

There appear different zero client solutions so please check with the vendor on their features and limitations.