cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Booteable USB upgrade ISE

lilimtzrmz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team , it is possible that the appliance recognizes booteable USB is inserted? I mean is there any way to validate the USB without rebooting the server? (I'm executing an ISE upgrade) 

3 Replies 3

davidgfriedman
Level 1
Level 1

We've used it on SNS-3515-K9, SNS-3595-K8, SNS-3655-K9 and SNS-3695-K9.  A few times we've had go to into the CIMC to enable the front or the back USB ports and reboot the unit & CIMC, before we could see the USB drive.  Patches, well, we still need to download them from a repository once the system is staged, of course.

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Booting to an upgrade bundle is not supported in any fashion.  Only booting to a full version .iso is supported and will overwrite ALL ISE data.  The procedure is found in the Create a Bootable USB Device to Install Cisco ISE chapter of the Installation Guide.

As for the patches ( @davidgfriedman ), you can follow the procedure found at ISE Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) to install a patch during installation.

@Charlie Moreton  I'll keep an eye out for that.  I'm about to start looking for ways to spin up and fully pre-provision and restore to a VM with little manual effort... We want to start quarterly tests of the profiler feed, as leaving it running is (sometimes) breaking things for us...And now, back to your sponsored thread(s)....:)