Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS 1120 and raid configuration

S M85
Level 4
Level 4

Hello guys,

Could someone help me out. I encountered some strange issues with one of our appliances in the field. Reinstalled the damn thing and encountered the strange issues. No errors.. did some memory test and the seagate harddisk test and encountered SMART errors. The device didn't log those errors anywhere..

First reason to check the second harddisk. The appliance is shipped with two so the first thing I was thinking of was RAID. I saw that raid wasn't configured. Try to boot the second harddisk and saw that nothing was on that disk.. so what is the mean reason you got two of those?

Got the new machine and try some options to configure RAID.

You got two options.. didn't see this before, most of the time you got only one option. Raid driver on or no RAID configuration at all.

First tried the intel storage matrix, configured both of the disks for mirror and install the ACS 5.2. The machine boots after installs and rejects the DVD. Result: The installation doesn't boot! Checked the partition with gparted but the partition is active (or flagged as boot)

Second option was LSI, got the raid configured for mirror and the installation was also completed. Result: working installation. Tried to test if the installation is still working after removing one of the disks. Appliance is complaining the the RAID is missing one disk (so this works). After that the machine tries to boot, result: no working ACS. Prompt is giving me a nice _

Maybe that one of you guys have investigate the RAID or second disk myth

1 Reply 1

S M85
Level 4
Level 4

Well a little bit further: there is no support for raid. Not official announced on the cisco support website. I did a check on the IBM documentation.

intel storage matrix is a software version of raid

LSI is not supported with the OS of ACS (CentOS)

The OS is installed on both on the harddisk and use some kind of LVM software raid on both of the harddisk. Very strange because you can't use this effectively when the bootdisk fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: