cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleted all AAA usernames

mmahoney
Level 1
Level 1

I had two aaa usernames i delted, now i don't have any. I then changed the secret. I went to log back in and it's asking me for a user name even thou I delted both of them. I typed in the old username with the new secret and the old user name with the new secret but nothing is letting me log in. What should I use for the username and password to login?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It would be helpful to know a few things about how the router (or switch) was configured - especially is it doing login local or is it doing aaa - and if it is doing aaa how was authentication configured.

But I will guess at an answer based on some assummptions and if I am not right you can clarify some things.

If it is configured for login local then it is expecting to have a user name and password configured on the router. If there are no user names on the router it gets difficult. Try accessing vty ports via telnet and try accessing the aux port and the console port. If you are lucky one of them might be doing authentication with the line passward rather than login local. If these do not work then I think you will probably need to do password recovery.

If it was configured for aaa then there is a question whether it is going to an authentication server or looking for locally configured names. You might try entering one of the old names with the old password, enter one of the old names with the new password (which is what I think you said you have done), or maybe try a carriage return at the name prompt and see if you get to the password prompt where you can try the old and the new password. And I would suggest trying these not only from telnet but also from connecting to the console and aux ports. If theses do not work then it may be that you will need to do password recovery.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your Reply. I tried loging in threw the Console and terminal althou never tried Aux, with the old and new passwords for the delted user names with no luck. I never saved my changed to startup config so I just reset the router and am back up running.