Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Administration using RADIUS Cisco ISE 2.3

Arie --
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible using ISE 2.3 as AAA for device administration with RADIUS protocol instead of TACACS+?

If I only enable Device Admin Service in ISE Policy Service, can I use RADIUS for authentication and authorization for network device login?

If that is possible, can you share me the guide of how to configure in ISE 2.3 and in network device (let says it is Cisco Switch)?

So far, I tested in Cisco Switch by using test aaa command, but there is no any log recorded in Cisco ISE. I'm afraid that something configuration is missing in ISE so that the switch can't contact to ISE  using RADIUS protocol.

Thank you

Arie

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

This guide should help you for network devices, there is also a chapter that covers configuring RADIUS.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/security/configuration/guide/fsecur_c/scfathen.html#wp1001032

Once you get the switch configured properly to contact your ISE server with requests you should be able to create rules for what you need to do.

As a general rule the authentication protocol is going to be PAP, and the attribute details should look like this for the authorization profile.

Access Type = ACCESS_ACCEPT
Service-Type = 6
cisco-av-pair = shell:priv-lvl=15

Other than that you just need to create authentication and authorization rules to match the type of authentication you are doing. (AD, local, etc.)

Hopefully this gives you a good start on what is needed.

View solution in original post

Hi,

Enable Session services.

Device administration refers strictly to TACACS.

Regards,

Octavian

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

This guide should help you for network devices, there is also a chapter that covers configuring RADIUS.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/security/configuration/guide/fsecur_c/scfathen.html#wp1001032

Once you get the switch configured properly to contact your ISE server with requests you should be able to create rules for what you need to do.

As a general rule the authentication protocol is going to be PAP, and the attribute details should look like this for the authorization profile.

Access Type = ACCESS_ACCEPT
Service-Type = 6
cisco-av-pair = shell:priv-lvl=15

Other than that you just need to create authentication and authorization rules to match the type of authentication you are doing. (AD, local, etc.)

Hopefully this gives you a good start on what is needed.

Hi,

Before I jump in to configuration, I test if the port 1812 and 1813 between switch and ISE is open or not.

Using N7K, I telnet to ISE server and with port 1812 but the connection is timed out (not open). No firewall between N7K and ISE. However, when I check with port 49 (TACACS+), it's open.

I'm afraid that there is something missing with ISE configuration for RADIUS port 1812 and 1813.

If it's a multi-node deployment, be sure to perform your check for RADIUS services against the Policy Service Node(s) (PSNs).

You can check your ISE PSN nodes for the listener from the cli with

tech netstat | i 1812
tech netstat | i 1813

Hi,

In the Policy Service Node Deployment, I only check Device Admin ServiceCapture.PNG

How to enable RADIUS service?

Also, I tried with the CLI command but nothing to show.

Thank you

Arie 

Hi,

Tacacs is TCP based.

Radius is UDP - no telnet check....

If you want to check radius connectivity between NAD and ISE just do a #test aaa ....

Thanks,

Octavian

Hi,
I see. So that's why I can't check with telnet.
And then, how to make sure that RADIUS service is enabled in ISE?

Thank you
Arie

Hi,

Enable Session services.

Device administration refers strictly to TACACS.

Regards,

Octavian

Hi,

I have enable Session Service and I already see the 1812 and 1813 port on netstat

I will continue to policy sets configuration

Hi,
Btw, the authentication and authorization has successfully work. If I'm using RADIUS, can I see the accounting? Where can I find the RADIUS accounting report?

Thanks
Arie