cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device profiled as 'Microsoft-Workstation' instead of more specific profile

Josh Morris
Level 3
Level 3

I have created sub-policy to Microsoft-Workstation that looks for the same attributes, but adds in DHCP host-name. The devices are still getting profiled as Microsoft-Workstation instead of 'SJ-Desktop' even though they clearly meet the host-name criteria. I've attached the profile, but I've tried to make sure the certain factor is greater than what the deviec is getting from the Microsoft-Workstation profile. 

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
A few things to consider/keep in mind when attempting to use profiling to your advantage are:
-Some will say to not use the Cisco defaults and to create your own.
-If creating your own increase your MCF to something higher than some of the other default ones. Without looking I am assuming the default policy MCF is higher than the one you are trying to create.
-A device can get re-profiled and cause no harm unless you are pushing policy based on profiled endpoint groups
My recommendation would be to ditch the Cisco default as your parent and start focusing on your own parent policy with child policies. Good luck & HTH!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
A few things to consider/keep in mind when attempting to use profiling to your advantage are:
-Some will say to not use the Cisco defaults and to create your own.
-If creating your own increase your MCF to something higher than some of the other default ones. Without looking I am assuming the default policy MCF is higher than the one you are trying to create.
-A device can get re-profiled and cause no harm unless you are pushing policy based on profiled endpoint groups
My recommendation would be to ditch the Cisco default as your parent and start focusing on your own parent policy with child policies. Good luck & HTH!