cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Factors that limits maximum concurrent sessions in ISE distributed deployment

Mohaninj
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What are the factors/dependencies that limits the maximum concurrent sessions & number of PSN’s in a Hybrid & dedicated distributed deployments.

Why there is a huge difference between hybrid and dedicated ISE deployment in max supported concurrent sessions (20K and 500K sessions)& number of PSN’s (5 & 50 PSNs). Just by adding of two dedicated MNT's in dedicated distributed mode is drastically improving the number of sessions and PSN's, how exactly this works?

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Good question.  The MnT node has always been a bit of  a special beast.  I suppose it comes down to the fact that the dedicated MnT node will only need to log a lot of SYSLOG data, as opposed to having to manage the Session Database as well (PAN role).

The PSN's are still restricted to 20K concurrent sessions, whether you have a 5 node setup, or a 50 node setup.  But when you do the maths, 50 * 20K = 1 Milion - this is more than the stated supported max of 500,000 concurrent sessions.

I don't think any of this is exact maths/science and the BU are simply quoting numbers that we should align ourselves to.  Would you feel good having more than 20,000 concurrent sessions per PSN?  Maybe better to spread the load out a bit.  I see that in ISE 2.6 the scalability numbers have increased again.  SNS-36xx has more horsepower.  

I still feel that a machine with 8 cores and 64GB of RAM can do a lot more than what's quoted on the ISE data sheet.  The use of a traditional SQL database and the Java engine seems to be the biggest bottleneck.

I would agree with you there. I've witnessed 50k active on a single 3595, not an issue to be seen with the PSN taking it. Most of the load issues I have had are with the PAN or MNT.

In a hybrid deployment, both of these are personas are contending for the same node resources, the MNT being heavy on disk (cpu too at times), while the PAN is heavier on CPU. I think it creates the perfect storm of load and they aren't capable of spreading it out like PSNs.

The part I have never really understood with scaling ISE is why a 2 node standalone deployment has the same scale as a 7 node hybrid. The 2 node deployment is doing more work on the same boxes as the PAN/MNT personas, while the hybrid is moving that authentication load off to PSNs. In theory one would expect to have more active endpoints capability if the auth, profiling, posture, etc was moved to the PSNs.

This doesn't even touch on my qualms with measuring scale in active endpoints, no two deployments have the same load with the same 10k endpoints.

Thanks Arne and Damien for your response.