Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Cisco ISE

dude90
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I need to install an ISO via USB on a Cisco ISE.

As far as I know I have to prepare an USB drive with the correct ISO - thats done. According to my Info I have to use the USB slots on the rear, need to boot the ISE via the USB drive and a Collegue installs in remotely.

The one thing that isn't clear is: how do I access the ISE? I brought a normal Serial Console Cable with a Serial to USB adapter and could not find a Console Port except that black wide port on the front stating "console" which is obviously not working with my console cable.

Can anyone help me to prepare for this? In short: How to access the ISE, restart it and boot it via USB drive?

4 Replies 4

Afolarin Omole
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure Cisco ISE locally (without connecting to a wired LAN), connect a PC to the console port on the Cisco ISE appliance by using a null-modem cable. The serial console connector (port) provides access to the CLI locally by connecting a terminal to the
console port.

• To connect a PC running terminal-emulation software to the console port, use a DB-9 female to DB-9 female null-modem cable.
  • To connect an ASCII terminal to the console port, use a DB-9 female to DB-25 male straight-through cable with a DB-25 female to DB-25 female gender changer.

The default parameters for the console port are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no hardware flow control just like consoling into normal cisco switch.

Also know that CIMC is only accessible via the physical VGA ports (and pressing F8 at startup) or via the Ethernet CIMC IP address.

To Open the Cisco IMC Configuration Utility:

a. Press and hold the front panel power button for four seconds to boot the server.

b. During bootup, press F8 when prompted to open the Cisco IMC Configuration Utility.

This utility has two windows that you can switch between by pressing F1 or F2.

c. Continue with Setup CIMC Configuration Utility<>.

@dude90 let me know if this helps

Im not sure if that would work. I cannot remember that the device has any db9 or db25 inputs on it.

I found that:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/identity-services-engine-ise/cisco-ise-console-port/td-p/3771247

I will try to access CLI via port 10:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5-8-1/installation/guide/csacs_book/csacs_ovr_ucs3500.pdf

"10 Serial port (RJ-45 connector)"

I hope that works, I can tell you that by the end of the week.

Olu,

Not sure about that guys but thanks so much it worked for me