cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Import Network Devices into ISE 2.4 Authentication Protocol Required?

kevink707
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to import network devices into ISE 2.4.

Following the template found in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_24/b_ise_admin_guide_24_new_chapter_01001.pdf

The documentation says that Authentication:Protocol:String(6) is optional and the only valid value is "RADIUS".

My import is failing with the message: Failed Value for attribute Protocol is mandatory

Putting TACACS in that field is rejected.

Putting RADIUS in that field is accepted, however then I believe I need to manually edit each device to uncheck Radius (I have tens of thousands of devices so this is not very practical).

Any suggestions?

18 Replies 18

mumustha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin,

I might be late to the party.

I suspect that this could be caused due to the bug in ISE 2.3/2.4 described in the below link :

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvj13401

A workaround has been defined in the link which is to remove "FALS" under "Enable Multi Shared Secret:String(128)". 

Hope that helps

I never EVER post anything on the Cisco forums, however this time I'm going to.

Why is isn't this the answer that's marked as the solution?!?!?!

Thank you sir!

I am glad I was able to inspire.

And please you may skip calling anyone “Sir” here.

Tim K
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue. I found a bug that has the fix action. I have pasted the results of it below for those that don't have a CCO account. Removing FALSE from the field listed below fixed the problem for me.

ISE "Failed Value for attribute Protocol is mandatory" when importing network device
CSCvj13401

Description
Symptom:
"Failed Value for attribute Protocol is mandatory" error message, when trying to Import Network device through CSV

Conditions:
having NAD that is configured for TACACS and was previously exported from ISE to a CSV

Workaround:
removing "FALS" under "Enable Multi Shared Secret:String(128)" and the import will work fine