Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal Users Password Settings related issue in ISE 3.2

Hi All,

I have a query regarding a option in ISE 3.2. I have a SSID in my infrastructure which works on the basis of PSK kind of but it prompts for username and password which is created in ISE under the settings "Network access users" that is internal users configuration. In that settings i enabled the option "change the password at next login" which is working for Windows OS as expected but this option isn't working for iphone users(17.4.1 ios). Any suggestions I appreciate in advance.

santhoshkdhanapal_0-1715756011506.png

santhoshkdhanapal_1-1715756092612.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

@santhoshkdhanapal - this appears to be an age old problem that Apple has not addressed in their EAP supplicant code. Have a look at this old thread.

Your Wi-Fi network is not using PSK - it's using EAP-PEAP (MSCHAPv2) which is what causes the operating system to pop up a dialogue to enter username and password.

it's probably the easiest 802.1X EAP method to implement, but it's not the most universal (as you can now witness), nor is it guaranteed to always work on Windows either. Credential Guard in Windows can also interfere with EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 - the best solution is to use an MDM to provision certs on mobile devices. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

antisocial11224
Level 1
Level 1

@santhoshkdhanapal wrote:

Hi All,

I have a query regarding a option in ISE 3.2. I have a SSID in my infrastructure which works on the basis of PSK kind of but it prompts for username and password which is created in ISE under the settings "Network access users" that is internal users configuration. In that settings i enabled the option "change the password at next login" which is working for Windows OS as expected but this option isn't working for iphone users(17.4.1 ios). Any suggestions I appreciate in advance.

santhoshkdhanapal_0-1715756011506.png

santhoshkdhanapal_1-1715756092612.png

You should Remove any existing profiles related to the SSID from the iPhone under Settings > General > VPN & Device Management, then reconnect to the network. Review the ISE logs when an iPhone user attempts to connect for any errors or denied access attempts. Ensure both ISE and the iPhone's iOS are updated to the latest versions, as updates often include fixes for compatibility issues. Double-check the policy settings in ISE for any inconsistencies that might affect iOS devices differently.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

@santhoshkdhanapal - this appears to be an age old problem that Apple has not addressed in their EAP supplicant code. Have a look at this old thread.

Your Wi-Fi network is not using PSK - it's using EAP-PEAP (MSCHAPv2) which is what causes the operating system to pop up a dialogue to enter username and password.

it's probably the easiest 802.1X EAP method to implement, but it's not the most universal (as you can now witness), nor is it guaranteed to always work on Windows either. Credential Guard in Windows can also interfere with EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 - the best solution is to use an MDM to provision certs on mobile devices.