Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3.1 with issue on smart license for VM

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I migrated my ISE installation from v2.4 and traditional licenses to v3.1 with patch 3 and smart licenses.
All is working well, but the two licenses for VM based nodes do not work.

I transfered the traditional VM medium licenses to the smart account. I can see them in the Software Central.
2x Cisco ISE Virtual Machine Medium with SKU R-ISE-VMM-K9= and no product instances mapped. Means 2 of 2 are available.
That makes sense for me.

But the ISE server seems to request a different thing from the smart licensing system.
The license is called only "ISE VM" if I check the product instance of my ISE.
ISE_VM_smart_lic_01.jpg

If I search in the licenses folder of my virtual account, I also see these two names for the VM licenses.
ISE_VM_smart_lic_02.jpg

Seems that Cisco has a naming mismatch here? How can I fix that?

Thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to convert them to the VM Common (VMC License).  A licensing TAC Case should be able to help out.  With native Cloud support for AWS added in 3.1, the small, medium, large licenses have been replaced with a single license.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You need to convert them to the VM Common (VMC License).  A licensing TAC Case should be able to help out.  With native Cloud support for AWS added in 3.1, the small, medium, large licenses have been replaced with a single license.

Thanks for that hint. Did not recognize that the VM license got a change here.
I spoke with my partner to get the right version of this licenses.

Thanks!

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ask your reseller to order 2 each of the $0 SKU "L-ISE-VMC-UPG=". Once deposited in your Smart Account you can convert the old style VM Medium license to the common license (the type required by ISE 3.1+).

Hi @Marvin Rhoads - I asked my Cisco SE to do this three months ago and was told that there would be some additional Services $$$ involved - I have no idea how that makes any sense, since more CPU/RAM doesn't cause more more Services cost.

That's odd @Arne Bier - I've done this for at least 5-6 customers with no cost, either to acquire or for services contract. Maybe it's an Ozzie thing.

Well, I have referred them yet again to the ISE Ordering Guide and it's all so plain to me as well.  Let's see what happens. I have VM Small licenses sitting around unused, and the prod is using VM Medium. My hope is that once I have VMC's in the Smart Account, it will placate the VM license requirements.