Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3.1 ZTP Installation - VMWare additional CDROM not allowed in VM

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

Having some issues with ISE 3.1 ZTP install when trying to add the ise_config.img as a 2nd CDROM into the VM config. 

Anyone got that working?  I get an error below that the file doesn't exist. Seems VMWare only allows to specify .iso files via that dialog.

The ISE 3.1 installation guide says that I should be able to define two CDROMs (one to boot the ISE 3.1 .iso, and the other one for the ise_config.img) - I was able to create the ise_config.img file but I was unable to use this file in the VM Configuration.

I had to use the VMWare Remote Console and then mount the .img file via that - it's not exactly 'zero touch' at this point.

ise31-datastore.PNG

ise31-datastore-vm error.PNG

The solution was to follow another Cisco document - but it's very manual and assumes you have the VMRC plugin installed.

I took the exact same .img file and added it via the Windows app below - that worked.

I have also used the VMWare Advanced Option (Base64 encoded) - and that worked too - but again, not very Zero Touch ...

ise31-2ndcdrom.PNG

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Arne, I ran into the same issue. Found out that you need at least vCenter version 6.7 Update 3j for this to work. It’s not in any of the VMware release notes, but that’s the version that starts allowing .img files to be mapped to virtual CD-ROMs. 

I have this detailed in the guide that Thomas linked. 

View solution in original post

As another helpful hint, you can use the same steps to make the .img file a .iso file and not need to upgrade vCenter. I have the instructions for that in the same article under the Hyper-V section. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you looked at ISE Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP)  ?

@thomas  - before writing my question I searched for the keyword 'ZTP' in the NAC Community and Charlie's ZTP Guide didn't come up. Pity - that would have been a great resource. 

ZTP is great and my next ISE deployment (of 4 or more nodes) will be using ZTP. 

@Arne Bier ,

Searching for "ztp" only searches within the NAC/ISE forum and not the posted Security Documents.

Better to use an Internet Search and it is #1: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ise+ztp  8-)

I think you said in another post that you missed our December Webinar with Automated ISE deployments.  Which means you also probably missed Charlie's On-Premise Installation webinar with ZTP:

ISE On-Premise Installation

See Charlie Moreton's amazing guide for ISE Zero Touch Provisioning @ https://cs.co/ise-ztp

Experience the different options for on-premise ISE installation using various deployment methods. Whether using SNS appliances or any of the virtual options, gain some knowledge on different options and maybe pick up a few timesavers and tips! This webinar is for you if you want to know about :

• SNS Appliance Installation
  • Virtual Machine Installation
  • Installation from ISO Files
  • Installation from Datastores
  • VMware vCenter
  • Demo Sessions

00:00 Introduction / Agenda
00:22 ISE Platform Options
01:43 Appliances versus VMs
03:00 Appliances: UCS versus SNS
03:50 Installation via Bootable USB Drive
04:38 Cisco Integrated Management Controller (CIMC)
07:43 Installing ISE via CIMC
08:34 Virtual Machines Poll
09:23 ISE Supported Hypervisors
11:17 ISE Deployment Options on VMware vCenter
11:42 VMware: ISE VM via Local ISO file
12:55 VMware: ISE VM via Datastore ISO file
13:55 VMware: ISE VM via OVA file
14:21 Demo: OVA Import Process
15:27 VMware: ISE VM via OVFTool
17:41 Nutanix CE Community Edition
18:36 Demo: Nutanix ISE Installation from ISO
20:51 Nutanix Tips with ISE
22:08 ISE Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP)
23:19 Creating a ZTP Image
27:10 Use ZTP .img file with CIMC
29:02 Use ZTP .img file in VMware
30:37 Use ZTP .img file in Nutanix
31:51 ZTP for VMware APIs (VM Data)
32:51 Demo: ZTP with VMware APIs
35:08 Zero Touch Provisioning guide: https://cs.co/ise-ztp
35:38 Resources & Questions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Arne, I ran into the same issue. Found out that you need at least vCenter version 6.7 Update 3j for this to work. It’s not in any of the VMware release notes, but that’s the version that starts allowing .img files to be mapped to virtual CD-ROMs. 

I have this detailed in the guide that Thomas linked. 

As another helpful hint, you can use the same steps to make the .img file a .iso file and not need to upgrade vCenter. I have the instructions for that in the same article under the Hyper-V section.