Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE licensing Error

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Trying to license my new ISE node installation and get an error:

Invalid license file, unknown feature type 'ISE VM MEDIUM' detected.

Anyone know what this means and what i need to fix it?

17 Replies 17

Licenses are uploaded to the Primary Administration Node (PAN) and propagated to the other Cisco ISE nodes in the cluster. Licenses are centrally managed by the Administration node, the other nodes do not require separate licenses. If you have two Administration nodes deployed in a high-availability pair, you must ensure that each of them have the same license capabilities. Generate licenses with both UDIs and then add the licenses while each node is in a standalone or primary state.

acaaaaa.jpeg

Is this not an HA pair of nodes BOT being admin nodes? So isn't that saying before I pair them I need to have the licensing on both before I register them?

No the license is installed to the primary admin

The secondary admin is required simply for failover

When you generate your license you provide the primary and secondary udi and this is needed when failover happens so the new primary is properly licensed in the deployment

Ok now that makes sense! And tells me when I was registering my licensing what the "secondary" fields were for, that i didn't fill in. I wish everything was just licensed via internet based on serial number, make it so much easier. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: