Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE-PIC Deployment Scenario Fails

mimistry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Team,

We have deployed an ISE PIC solution for passive ID in our customer network for wired and wireless users. Here are the providers that we are using:

• WMI
  • Syslog for DHCP
  • Dot1x for wireless – Active authentication.

Here are the use cases, for which the user mapping should work flawless:

• Wired user moves from one VLAN to another VLAN ( DHCP scope changes)
  • Wireless user moves from one AP to another AP ( DHCP scope changes)
  • Wired user moves to wireless - good.
  • Wireless user moves to wired.

We are having a lot of issues, particularly due to very sparse documentation available around ISE PIC. Here are our concerns:

• Only one custom header can be created. We want to use custom headers for both AP syslog and DHCP syslog. We are unable to use native DHCP parser because we are using NXLOG to send the syslogs.
  • We are unable to get the scenario working where wireless user moves to wired. Since no new Kerberos ticket is opened, how will the mapping change? Here are the steps:
    • Using wireless dot1x, user-IP-MAC mapping is created for wireless.
    • Now the user moves to wired ; no logon event will be generated because the user never logged off.
    • if we decide to use DHCP as well for this mapping, following are the issues:
      • wireless MAC address would be different from wired NIC MAC, ISE PIC won’t know which mapping to replace
      • even if we assume that there is an old mapping for wired in ISE PIC, and decide to use DHCP for mapping updation, as soon as a DHCP message is received, the username gets knocked off from the mapping as there is no username in DHCP syslog. Ideally, it would just add the additional info to the mapping instead of removing user all together. I think it’s a buggy behaviour.
    • For Wired to Wired / Wireless - to - Wireless it looks like the same as we are trying to use DHCP for mapping updation but the username is getting removed by DHCP syslog.

Regards,

Milin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are correct on the custom header for Syslog providers. My issue was actually on my inability to remove the one I set after finding out that the default, detecting the hostname at position 4 with "space" as the separator, sufficed.

I see NXLog has 6.8. Format Converter (pm_transformer) so you would likely be able to use that so that the hostname detected at the same position.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
  • Only one custom header can be created. We want to use custom headers for both AP syslog and DHCP syslog. We are unable to use native DHCP parser because we are using NXLOG to send the syslogs.

Last I tried this, I was able to create multiple custom header. Perhaps, you meant only one used per syslog template.

On DHCP issue, I found TAC filed CSCvn52886.

The others are known constraints.

Hi Hslai,

Thanks for your response.

Last I tried this, I was able to create multiple custom header. Perhaps, you meant only one used per syslog template.

- As per my understanding we can create only one custom header per syslog template and in our case we are using two different syslog templates. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On DHCP issue, I found TAC filed CSCvn52886

- This was filed by us only.

Thanks,

Milin.

You are correct on the custom header for Syslog providers. My issue was actually on my inability to remove the one I set after finding out that the default, detecting the hostname at position 4 with "space" as the separator, sufficed.

I see NXLog has 6.8. Format Converter (pm_transformer) so you would likely be able to use that so that the hostname detected at the same position.