Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue (bug?) renewing CLI password on Cisco ISE

maring13482
Level 1
Level 1

It all started with us manually renewing the admin password of a few ISE nodes 

starting with a couple indipendent nodes, we used the "password" command in order to renew the cli password and everything works fine.

then we tried renewing a few others, in parallel, but me and a colleague noticed the same issue: after our password renewal we can't get into the device with the new password. For a few of them (with an active session still open) we managed to get around the issue creating a new admin user and basically deleting and recreating admin. We've lost access to one of the nodes though.

both of us had the same issue and we could even replicate it. we tried again on another device with the password command and again, we couldn't access it afterwards with the configured "new password". the password was always the same so a copy/paste "human" error is very unlikely, and the string is only upper/lowercase with numbers without symbols.

When creating a new user with the same password it works fine.

I exported the "faulty" hashed password string ($6$salt$hash) in order to try a few combination and see if I can get to the faulty pasted password but still no luck (truncating or adding spaces or special caracters)

Is there any known issue pasting passwords with the "password" command? 

Thank you all

0 Replies 0