cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC- Based Authentication in ISE which license & methods are in use??

abdulwadood
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know that Can ISE supported MAC-based authentication as per the below request:

- If i want to achieve mac based authentication in essential licenses if yes then can I do it?

- if i want to achieve mac based authentication in the Advantage license how do I get it?

if I achieve Mac-based authentication in both licenses then what is the difference between the two licenses which option of the license is much better?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

MAB is supported on both Essentials and Advanced. The difference you can see on the chart below:

FlavioMiranda_0-1687097098306.png

"In ISE 3.0, higher licenses include lower licenses (the so-called Nested doll model). This means that you only need to purchase an Advantage license to have the functionality of the Essentials + Advantage license. In the old model, licenses were additive, you added different license levels, there were also requirements to have a minimum number of Base licenses to have X higher licenses, and so on."

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

MAB is supported on both Essentials and Advanced. The difference you can see on the chart below:

FlavioMiranda_0-1687097098306.png

"In ISE 3.0, higher licenses include lower licenses (the so-called Nested doll model). This means that you only need to purchase an Advantage license to have the functionality of the Essentials + Advantage license. In the old model, licenses were additive, you added different license levels, there were also requirements to have a minimum number of Base licenses to have X higher licenses, and so on."

Screenshot (535).png

For PSN the mab is aaa/802.1x which is support in essential license.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The chart listed by @MHM Cisco World shows the license feature comparison. Practically speaking for MAB, Advantage license adds the ability to automatically profile an endpoint and use that profile in your Authorization policy rules. For instance, ISE can decide via profiling (and without admin intervention) that a Cisco phone is indeed a Cisco phone and then automatically add it to the IP phones endpoint group and have an authorization result to allow it access and assign it to the voice domain. Without profiling, you would have to assign the MAC addresses manually to the desired identity group(s).

abdulwadood
Level 1
Level 1

Yes Thank you for your support