Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor ISE Processes

servicesecurity
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to monitor ISE 2.2 processes via SNMP.

I know that in the Admin Guide we can use SNMP traps for that - however it is not working so well.

I tried to bring down ISE processes with 'application stop ise' command. However I am not getting any SNMP trap saying that ISE processes is not in running state...

In addition, I enabled snmp-server on ISE and we are getting allot of processes when performing polling.

The list of processes are attached to the .txt file.

Which processes are relevant to monitor from that list, if I would like to monitor the ISE Application Server processes and all the processes that I can see with that command 'show application status ise'.

Reagrds,

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

ISE only supports one SNMP trap, and it's in relation to disk space usage.  Pretty sad I know.  SNMP in ISE needs a bit more development.

Maybe there is better visibility using the REST API. 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Original poster had cross posted and was answered in the communities.cisco.com thread.

https://communities.cisco.com/message/277112#277112

(partner access required)

The gist of it is as follows:

"The ISE processes are monitored by monit. When manually stopping ISE services from ISE admin CLI, it also stops the monit process so no trap is sent. When an ISE process got crashed or killed and not running for more than 5 minutes, a cron job runs every 5 minutes will generate the trap"

Hi Marvin,

I cannot access this link. I would like to take a look on the response. Could you please post it here?

thanks

@ajc

I updated my earlier reply to clarify. Thanks for pointing out the access issue.