NAM and "unprotected identity pattern" not working as expected

Hi,

I'm trying to test such 802.1x wired environment:

windows xp sp3 as supplicant

windows NPS as radius server

2960 as authenticator

latest anyconnect (3.1.01065) + nam and standalone profile editor

I have a question:

Could someone explain me the difference between protected identity pattern and unprotected identity pattern (set in nam profile editor)? As I understand documentation PEAP-MSCHAPv2 is a tunneled method and it uses unprotected identity pattern to protect user's identity during phase 0. But if I use any fake identity here (anonymous, anonymous@[domain], etc) access is rejected (Access-Reject in switch debugs). I have to use exacly the same pattern in

unprotected identity pattern as in protected identity pattern ([username] or [username]@[domain]) to gain access, regardless of authenticaton mode (same in machine only, user only authentication)

I would be grateful for any clues

Best regards

Lukasz

1 Reply 1

Ok I've solved it... NAM works fine, problem was with NPS config. If you want unprotected identity pattern to work, just configure authentication methods under "connection request policies" not "network policies".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: