Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help to understand ISE MnT node source of log feeding

rezaalikhani
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all;

consider the following figure, captured from "Designing ISE for Scale & High Availability" Cisco Live session in 2018:

1.png

As you can see, it mentions that NADs and ASAs can directly send SYSLOG messages to MnT nodes! (as far as I know, MnT nodes can only process SYSLOG messages from PSNs and PANs...)

Can anyone confirm that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Technically the MnT can collect these logs, but it's not best practice to do so.
Sending syslog from the NADs was only ever intended as a temporary solution for troubleshooting. I don't believe the log correlation from the ASA is still a thing.

In general, we would recommend sending syslog from various NADs, Firewalls, and ISE nodes to a SIEM (like Splunk) for correlation and reporting (especially for historical logging)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Technically the MnT can collect these logs, but it's not best practice to do so.
Sending syslog from the NADs was only ever intended as a temporary solution for troubleshooting. I don't believe the log correlation from the ASA is still a thing.

In general, we would recommend sending syslog from various NADs, Firewalls, and ISE nodes to a SIEM (like Splunk) for correlation and reporting (especially for historical logging)