cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Self-signed Root certificates

fazmeister4
Level 1
Level 1

My self signed Root certificates have expired in the Trusted certificates section. They are not being used by any services yet I'd like to renew them. Unlike the System certs there is no option to renew them. Anyone assist ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

You should not put self signed certs in the Trusted Store. The Trust Store is for CA certs. Yes - self-signed certs are Root certs and therefore a CA :-) But -  you said you don't use ISE self-signed certs. So why do you want to keep these hanging around? 

So to answer your question - an ISE Self-Signed cert originates from the System Certs section.  go there and click on the Generate Self-Signed cert to create new ones. Then delete the old one(s).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

You should not put self signed certs in the Trusted Store. The Trust Store is for CA certs. Yes - self-signed certs are Root certs and therefore a CA :-) But -  you said you don't use ISE self-signed certs. So why do you want to keep these hanging around? 

So to answer your question - an ISE Self-Signed cert originates from the System Certs section.  go there and click on the Generate Self-Signed cert to create new ones. Then delete the old one(s).

@Arne Bier wrote:

agree, also check out https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/how-to-implement-digital-certificates-in-ise/ta-p/3630897

Thanks, I've removed them now