Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ISE to 2.0 - two node deployment

Bala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

As we know the ISE 1.3 can be upgraded to ISE 2.0 in two different ways. One is to use Application upgrade command that is fully automatic and the other way is fresh installation of ISE 2.0 (complete back up of ISE nodes before the installation).

Tutorials I have seen so far, describes mostly about Application upgrade method, but I would like to know about the fresh installation of ISE 2.0. I choose this option since it gives us the more granular control of the upgrade.

If anyone have already tried this second method for Upgrading ISE2.0, please share us your experience and give us the step-by-step procedure. Thank you in advance.

//Bala

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Bala-

You can do either one. I personally prefer the direct upgrade path as back/restore does not cary all of the settings and configurations. In addition, you will have to get new license keys since the ISE system will be new/different, thus your old license keys will not work. 

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Bala-

You can do either one. I personally prefer the direct upgrade path as back/restore does not cary all of the settings and configurations. In addition, you will have to get new license keys since the ISE system will be new/different, thus your old license keys will not work. 

I hope this helps!

Bala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Neno!

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, it's too much work to install a fresh ISE2.0. Yet, I like to weigh both the options. I have read some posts previously that their automatic upgrade of ISE 2.0 doesn't go well and they supposed to install a fresh 2.0 or rollback to previous version.

So, as a back up plan I still like to know the procedure to install a fresh ISE 2.0. (if incase the automatic upgrade doesn't go as we plan) :-)

//Bala

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I personally did not have issues upgrading to 2.0. Just make sure that you follow the upgrade steps in the release notes and the post-upgrade tasks that are also listed in the upgrade notes. 

Fresh install just requires you to install ISE software on your server and then restore from the most recent backup. Then you still have to go back and perform post-install tasks that are listed in the release notes. Then you have to go through ISE and spot-check all configurations as I have noticed that not all configs are carried over. For instance, AD integration, global profiling settings, etc.