Views
Helpful
Replies

Viewing Users Activity - Radius

Waheed Bahaduri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

With TACACS+  we can have  (TACACS+ Administration) Logfile on ACS that shows users activity. but with radius there is no such logfile to show usres activity.    i want to know is anyother way how to check users activity while using radius-server ?

Regards,

5 Replies 5

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Favorite Reports > RADIUS Authentications - Today

Sorry, but there is no   Favorite-Reports>RADIUS Auth option.   I'm using ACS 4.2

Hi  Imran,

Hope you are refering to Radius Authentication Logs here..

For ACS 4.2 go to Report and Activity --> Passed Authentication or Failed Authentication to see the Radius Logs.

Also please be aware that in order to see these logs you need to ensure that Logging in enabled on the System Configuration--> Logging as below using the ticking CSV.

Hope this helps

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Hello Najaf,

What you are indecating is authentication,  that logfile only shows Authenticated Users,  But not thier activities.  I want to view what the users are doing? which sources they are accessing ...any other activities...etc

Example- with Tacacs+  Server-  it is possible to veiw  what commands the user enters.....

Hi Waheed,

I now understand what you are looking for..But unfortunately Radius does not provide this function :-(

Even though Radius and TACACS+ are main protocol typically used for AAA services on network devices, RADIUS was designed to authenticate and log dial-up remoe users to a network and TACACS+ is used mostly commonly for administrator access to network devices.

RADIUS doesn't log the commands used by the administrator. It will only log the start,stop,time/date, username, type of connection, amount of time logged in, and bytes transferred. The TACACS+ protocol was developed to resolve these issues. With TACACS+ each command enter by the user is sent back to ACS for authorization, which then check the command against an authorized list of commands for each user or group.

In short RADIUS does not offer any command logging and hence you will not be able to see them on any report like what you are seeing for TACACS

Hope this helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!