cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Travis Williams
Community Member

Peter Haynes, C4 Systems, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Using the "show parser dump" Command.

If you are searching for a particular configuration command, try using the "show parser dump" command. This command shows all the commands (and subcommands) available in a particular configuration context. For example, "show parser dump interface" will show all of the possible commands and parameters that can be used when configuring an interface.

If you add the extend switch to the end of the command, the output will also show what each of the parameters means.

To receive the latest information on Cisco online tools, certifications, support documentation, insights from Cisco experts and peers, and upcoming events, check out the Cisco Technical Services Newsletter today.

Comments
g.caristi
Community Member

Hi,

in my experience on some testing labs I have come to think that command can become quite dangerous. In particular I noticed that on certain release if you issue "show parser" statements that are very wide (like the "show parser<CR>" command itself), the visiting routine that traverses through the parser tree will reach some branches where circular links are possible (so it's actually a graph) and therefore loop forever, blocking the session and raising the CPU.

For this reason we have decided to block the use of the command in the live network through the Tacacs+ server authorization.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: