Views
Helpful
Replies

Ip ducking

Michael_Benson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Im an audio engineer. I work a lot with audio over ip. 

In a venue im currently working for, i need to setup the audiosystem so that it ducks or stops whenever the fire alarm is activated.

I thought that the firealarm abd the security notifications could be introduced in the audionetwork.

So what im looking for :

A way to setup a switch to block all other traffic when it receives input from a specific (static) ip adress. It's important though that the traffoc comming from the one ip is passing through.

In the audioworld this would be a ducking or sidechain mechanism..

Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks for your help

4 Replies 4

Hi

I believe this can be achieved using let´s  say a Raspberry Pi and a litle coding but I don´t believe this is possible in a cisco switch,

The original post asks "to block all other traffic when it receives input from a specific (static) ip adress" That is a very unusual requirement. I have a theory about how this might be achieved:

- configure an access list that would deny traffic received from that IP address (would the device generating this traffic ever need to successfully communicate on the network?) The deny statement would need to include the log parameter.

- assign the access list to the interface where this traffic would be received.

- configure an EEM script that would become active if it detected a log message that the particular traffic had been denied.

- when activated the EEM script could shut down interfaces, thereby stopping all traffic.

The original post then says " It's important though that the traffoc comming from the one ip is passing through." I do not understand what this means and therefore what impact it has on my suggestion.

There are several things about this to consider:

- we do not know how that traffic would get generated and that might impact how we could detect it and react to it.

- we do not know if some traffic from that address should get through, or whether any traffic from it should shut down the network.

- we do not know what needs to be done about recovery if the EEM script activates.

- we do not know what type of switch or what version of code it is running and so can not know if it has support for this type of EEM script.

HTH

Rick

Hello,

I would agree with @Richard Burts that some sort of EEM script (if indeed supported) on your switch could work. I know audio ducking from OBS, I guess the idea is the same.

If you post the output of:

sh ver

sh run

from your switch, and indicate which ports the traffic is going in and out you want to block, we might be able to come up with something.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I would prefer to solve this at the application layer and not at the networking layer , and have sufficient communications between apps and or the necessary actions could then be taken too.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !