Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog: Automated actions not working

I have configured syslog automated actions to send an e-mail when a specific network event occurs. This had been working fine, but for the last week, although the event happened, the e-mail was not sent. I checked to see if the actual message that would trigger the event was in /var/log/syslog_info and it was, so then I checked to see if I could see the message through RME->Report Generator->Syslog. I got no messages whatsoever from any device!!! So I stopped SyslogAnalyzer and SyslogCollector processes, restarted them and the latter problem was fixed (I now get messages from the Report Generator). I also created a network event that would trigger the existing (and once functioning) automated actions, but the action was not triggered. What else can I check???

Thanks in advance,

Katerina

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can check the AnalyzerDebug.log for errors. Since this is an email action, check the SMTP server details under Common Services > Server > Admin > System Preferences. You can also start a sniffer trace filtering on tcp/25 between the LMS server and the SMTP server, then generate a new message, and see if there are packets captured. See if there is an error in the SMTP conversation.

Hello,

it seems that the actions are working fine now. I gather that the system needed some time to get it all together, after stopping and starting the syslog services.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card