Views
Helpful
Replies

5506W-X: Cannot install ASDM on Windows 10

Jasper Freeman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently purchased a Cisco 5506W-X for my home network.

The problem is, I cannot install the ASDM on my Windows 10 laptop (see asdm.png).

However, java is installed (see java-version.png).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What are the solutions?

12 Replies 12

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What version of ASDM are you using? I checked on my machine and I get the following Java version:

C:\Users\rahul.govindan>java -version
java version "1.8.0_111"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)

I was able to open the ASDM launcher using this Java version. Could you try downgrading the Java version to see if it helps?

ASDM Version is 7.6(2).

C:\Users\jasper>java -version
java version "1.8.0_121"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode, sharing)

As far as I know, this is the latest release of Java.

I just installed the latest Java release and have no problems opening the Launcher on Windows 7. Could you try installing the latest ASDM 7.7 version to see if this fixes it?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the initial installation of Java, it seems to look for a Java 6 32-bit version to be installed. Please see the posting by mratclilffe at this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11006771/asdm-java-runtime-environment-not-installed

Once you get it installed the first time, you can remove the old 32-bit version and stay with the latest most secure (cough) Java 8 release. It's just the initial installation that has some hard coded checks in it. Further updates will continue to work fine with 64-bit Java 8 only.

Jasper Freeman
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently on the road right now and will try the solutions when I am back in the office.

To me it is counter productive that I have to use older versions of software in order to use current software. As I recall, I experienced this problem back when Java 7.0 was current. I would have expected Cisco to have corrected this by now.

Most of the answers that I am finding is for Windows 7, and Windows 10 is the current standard workstation for my client.

Anyway, I will let you all know how the testing goes, once I am back at the site.

Everybody agrees that the Java-based ASDM and all of its foibles is untenable. There are literally dozens (if not hundreds) of threads and articles on wrestling with it.

That's one of the reasons why Cisco's new FTD images, when locally managed, instead use an entirely new graphical interface (FirePOWER Device Manager). It is entirely browser-based and does not require a client side Java installation. 

Ok, so I tried installing Java 6 and it did not work

I guess Windows 10 and ASDM is not a good mix. About 4-5 years ago we had the same problem (install Java 6, ASDM, Java Version) and the Cisco has not changed the installation. Since the clients OS is Windows 10, I will have to find a better solution.

A lot of the solutions that I am receiving is for Windows 7, but my requirements is for Windows 10. So, on that note, I will have to find a way to get the installation to work.

It is strange that after 5 years, the ASDM is still using the same install process.

It appears my weekend will be finding a solution to this problem. It's not a show stopper, but frustrating.

I will post my results if I solve this.

I've been using ASDM (various versions) on Windows 10 machines (both windows 10 Pro and Home editions). I've run both the desktop launcher and Java Web start versions - it can definitely be done. 

Can you tell me what's Java version you are using to run ASDM on windows 10

The current Java 1.8 release (1.8.0_151-b12) works fine with most any recent ASDM.

Do not use Java 1.9.

Please refer to the ASDM troubleshooting technote as well:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/adaptive-security-device-manager/110282-asdm-tshoot.html

It covers 90% or more of the most common problems.

Dear Sir,

It's still showing me unable to connect to device manager, I would like to mention that am using ASDM 6.4.

So is it compatible with windows 10, Because all my colleagues in work it's working fine but they are using windows 7

Kindly advise.

ASDM 6.4 is extremely old (ca. 2011-2012). 

You might be be able to wrestle it into working with old Java and tweaking settings but it would make much more sense and be easier to just upgrade it to a more current release. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card