Views
Helpful
Replies

aaa authorization exec authentication-server VS auto-enable

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

was trying to google search but can't seem to find the answer.

just wondering what's the difference between aaa authorization exec authentication-server vs aaa authorization exec authentication-server auto-enable?

i know the latter since we're using them which automatically brings you to the ASA privilege exec mode # but how about the former?

ciscoasa(config)# aaa authorization exec authentication-server ?

configure mode commands/options:
auto-enable Allow authenticated users with sufficient privileges to
automatically enter privileged EXEC mode on login
<cr>

6 Replies 6

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

It will bring you to user exec mode and you'll need to type enable in order to access privileged exec mode.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

hi,

so it's the same as not having this line configured at all?

we currently don't have this line configured and i have to type my TACACS login twice just to get to privilege mode.

What do you mean by typing twice your login? Normally you type in once and then when you go to enable mode it prompts you for an enable password

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

hi,

if you don't have 'auto-enable', you'll need to type your TACACS login twice: first when you login/SSH to the ASA, then second when the ASA asked for enable password.

you don't type the 'local' enable PW when you're doing AAA/TACACS.

Yes but it asks for password only when typing enable not the login name.
Putting this command will allow tacacs to validate the privilege of the user and push it when entering enable command

Thanks
Francesco

Terence.Jh
Spotlight
Spotlight
Francesco is right
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card