Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Active/Standby Interface Failure

Hello all

I appreciate there are numerous discussions on this, however, I'm yet to find a solution to my problem. We have a pair of 5585-Xs configured in a active/standby cluster. On each physical device we have a port-channel going up to a Nexus 5K. This port-channel is the split into multiple sub-interfaces/VLANs. These VLANs are configured on the Nexus's and trunked down to the ASAs and across to each other as appropriate.

Oddly, out of the 5 sub-interfaces, only one is showing as Failed when I do a show failover state and Normal (Waiting) if I do a show failover For the life of me I can't work out why. I've gone over the physical cabling, the Layer 2 configuration and Layer 3 but nothing is coming up as being immediately obvious.

Any clues or pointers?

2 Replies 2

joseoroz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Devlin,

That waiting status most likely is caused by a lack of communication between that interface and the same one on the peer. You can test that with a ping from one device to the other if you have the standby ip setup on the interface. If that is not the case then the recommendation will be to add it as is known to improve the communication between the peers. 

Kind regards,

Jose Orozco. 

Hello Jose

Apologies for the delay. Annoyingly we can ping from one peer to the other across all interfaces. We also have the standby statements under each sub-interface. The Layer 2 side of things appears to be as it should be.

To tell the truth I'm a little puzzled as to why this is still not working. I don't want to go down the route of rebuilding the cluster as it's a production environment and change control is a nightmare.

Happy to try anything anyone suggests or provide some output.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card