cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5200 ASDM 6.4(5) Launcher Java error

tw2079
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I inherited a lab which contains several ASA 5200 firewalls (of the same vintage). I went to it via browser and downloaded/installed the onboard ASDM which was version 6.4(5). However when I tried to run either ASDM or via Web Start, I get the same java security exception as per attached screen shot file. I downloaded the latest JRE (Ver 8 Update 161) and still no go. I am running Windows 7 in 64 bit and I saw some talk of issues in 64 bit mode but the solution was then to run it via Web Start but that gives me the same error. Does anyone know what the error in the attached screen shot mean? Thanks!

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

What version of the ASA software are you running on that unit? As long as you're running at least 8.0, you can (and should) upgrade to ASDM 7.6(2), which is going to have far fewer compatibility issues with modern Java runtimes than 6.4(5) does.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

What version of the ASA software are you running on that unit? As long as you're running at least 8.0, you can (and should) upgrade to ASDM 7.6(2), which is going to have far fewer compatibility issues with modern Java runtimes than 6.4(5) does.

Here in lies the problem. I can’t get ASDM going hence I’m unable to login to see what version of ASA it’s running. I tried to ssh to it but the previous admin must have not enabled CLI since I can’t ssh into it?

Also if I can’t get in, I won’t be able to flash a new asdm.bin file into this ASA? Or is there another way for me to get ASDM running on my Windows without having to download it from the ASA?

Thanks,
Thomas

Ah. Your best bet there is a serial console. Once connected, you can use the password procedure here to get a fresh start. You'll be able to upgrade the ASA software and ASDM from there.

Thank you Jody!!

Thomas

No problem! If any of that was useful, don't forget to accept one of the comments as a solution and/or mark them as helpful.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card