cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Transparent Setup Help!

chrisl
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently purchased a dedicated hosted server from OVH.

With it, I purchased a Cisco firewall that can only be put into transparent mode.

I have been unsuccessful in setting up the firewall, as when I enable it, no DHCP or DNS are allowed through.

Here are more specifics of the setup

1) The windows 2012 server gets it's IP address via DHCP, but it is static somehow.  Here is the server ipconfig ( modified slightly

IP     159.88.119.55

gate  159.99.119.254

DHCP Server     198.55.85.63

DNS Server        213.188.44.99

The firewall has been set to an IP of

My problem is that I'm not even sure where to start on this.  I've tried to change the IP of the firewall to match the subnet of the server IP.... I can connect to it, but the 192.94.34.94 firewall address never leaves.  It's weird!
When I do enable the firewall from the OVH web control panel, my web server continues to work, however... After a few minutes, the server loses it's IP address because DHCP and DNS are not making it through.
I've tried to add rules to enable this, but nothing seems to work.

Can anybody help to point me in the right direction?  I would appreciate it greatly.

2 Replies 2

mickyq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris

this may help you configure the basic connectivity:

https://networkinferno.net/transparent-and-routed-asa-basics

Thanks Very much for the article Michael.

It's very simply to follow.  However, there were some errors on the commands that were listed, and I am not sure that I did everything correctly.

Instead of assigning BV1 192.168.1.1 , I assigned it 158.69.119.1 so that it would be on the same the same subnet as my public facing IP ( which my server is currently on ) .... was this the correct thing to do?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card