cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 force server to use specific external IP over SFTP

NLarson801
Level 1
Level 1

We have a server that performs various duties, one of those duties is connecting to a remote SFTP server.  Currently we are NATing the server to the external interface IP and we need to keep it this way for certain services as it can interrupt them if we need to make a change.  But for the SFTP server we need to connect to we need to initiate the traffic from a specific IP address.  I have tried numerous PAT configurations but the server still will not use the IP I am trying to assign it.  Is PAT only used for internal connections? Or should I be able to use it to connect to this server?

2 Replies 2

Hello @NLarson801

PAT means Port Address Translate and you use it to change port instead IP. If you want to change the IP you need to use static NAT. 

As you mention that you cant change IP address otherwise you are going to broke other service, you may need to solve this in a different way.

Why do you need that this server use a different IP only for SFTP ?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

It will take days for the provider to allow their system to accept connections from another IP. If I change the IP this server is using globally it could affect other services.  I was hoping there was a way around this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: