Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512 SFR module upgradation

I need to update my sfr module for Cisco ASA 5512, I also have FMC from where I will update my sfr module. I need to know that if I update the sfr module software version via FMC will the SFR updated image be saved in FMC memory or will it save in ASA flash?

I got attached screenshot of disk space table on Cisco release note and wanted to know what is the difference between these columns i.e space , space on volume and space on manager. I have 509 MB free in my ASA 5512 flash is it sufficient enough to update the module on version 5.4.0.6.

13 Replies 13

I will be stored in SFR module. ASA won't hold it for SFR modules

Can you please elaborate? where will the updated software version be saved? will it use ASA flash or use FMC disk space.

It will be saved on FMC once you upload it from your machine or download it
from cisco. But when pushed to SFR it will be saved on SFR storage
partition (not on ASA partition)

thank you can you tell me in which partition of SFR module will it store the software upgraded version. I have 3 partitions i.e. / , boot, var

Here is the process how it works:

1. The update is downloaded/uploaded to the FMC and stored on the disk.
  2. When updating, the update is transferred to the module. There the update is stored on the module which resides on the SSD and not on the flash.

But: If you are still on a 5.x-version, I would not update/upgrade the module. Just upgrade the FMC to the desired version (6.2.3.3 is the actual version) and just reinstall the module. With a big difference in versions, you'll save much time with reinstall instead of upgrade.

thank you that's a good idea. but please let me know the FMC partition in which upgraded software for sfr module will store. I have 3 partitions /, boot and var.

Hello Muhammad,
The upgrade is stored on /var. I have seen issues before on which an upgrade can fail, if /var is too full. More specifically upgrades are under /var/sf/upgrades.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Will you also let me know what does each column mean in the attached screenshot? i.e space on / , space on / volume,  space on / volume manager ?

Hello Muhammed,

The Columns just mean the partition and how much space needs to be free

Space on / = Space needed in the root partition

Space on /Volume = Space needed in the /Volume partition of the device. Either Sensor or FMC

Space on Manager = Space required in the Manger in the /Volume partition. When upgrading using an FMC, some space is used in this partition for the process.

so I want to update my ASA 5512 sfr module via FMC. I am confused for disk space. Can you tell me which space will be used from those columns and where it will store the upgrade either in ASA or in FMC var?

So the upgrade will be stored on both devices.

First on the FMC since it needs to be uploaded to it. This will be uploaded to /var/sf/updates.

Then once you initiate the deployment, the file is going to be copied to the Sensor to /var/sf/updates, then the update executed from it.

The one you need to ensure you have enough disk pace, is mainly on the sensor and for /var.

If you do the command "df -h" in the cli of the sensor, /var should have less than 50% and be fine to upgrade.

Normally most customer do not have to worry about disk space, this is unless they have been upgrading their sensor since 5.4 patch by patch to newer version.

If you do run out of space, this is something that can be easily identified by TAC and resolve.

great explanation unfortunately I dont have sensor cli access. Is there any other possibility to check the sensor var disk space?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: