Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 - Active/Standby - Reverse Primary/Secondary

Damien Duchenne
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I didn't find an answer to my question in this forum, even if some persons have spoken about this subject.

I am running with a current Active/Standby configuration of two ASA 5520 with version 8.2(5).

I want to reverse their configuration as this:

• The current Primary one should become the Secondary one
  • The current Secondary one should become the Primary one

I want a final configuration, so the command "failover active" on the Secondary unit will only activate the failover, but the Primary/Secondary configuration will remain the same, so it's not the aim.

Is someone has a procedure to proceed?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Damien

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Issuing the command failover active on the standby unit will do what you want.  It is done often if someone wants to perform some maintenance on the ASA that is currently the active ASA.

once you do this the standby unit will remain the primary until either a failover situation occurs or you perform another manual failover.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

I want a final configuration, so the command "failover active" on the Secondary unit will only activate the failover, but the Primary/Secondary configuration will remain the same, so it's not the aim.

I am not entirely sure I understand what you want to accomplish here.  Do you want to be able to do a failover, but the IP addresses on the interfaces remain the same?  Such as active ip is x.x.x.x and standby ip is y.y.y.y, then initiate a failover and the active ip is now y.y.y.y and standby is x.x.x.x?

if this is the case, this is not possible.

If this is not what you are trying to do, then please explain in more detail what it is you want to happen.

--

--

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

In fact, to make it simple, I want to reverse the current Active/Standby cluster. I know that the command "failover active" will force the failover, but I assume it's not a good situation ?

If ASA 1 is the current active firewall and ASA 2 the current standby one. I want to make ASA 2 the Active one (Primary) and ASA 1 the Standby one (Secondary).

Therefore, I need to change the command "failover lan unit primary" on ASA 1 by "failover lan unit secondary" and the opposite for ASA 2 (from "failover lan unit secondary" to "failover lan unit primary"). I don't know how to proceed...

I hope you understand my need.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Damien

Issuing the command failover active on the standby unit will do what you want.  It is done often if someone wants to perform some maintenance on the ASA that is currently the active ASA.

once you do this the standby unit will remain the primary until either a failover situation occurs or you perform another manual failover.

--

--

Also, keep in mind that once the failover pair are up and running and the configuration is synchronized, both ASAs will have the exact same configuration.

--

--

Great, thank you very much ! I'll proceed with the failover active so.

Therefore, there is no way to change the command "failover lan unit primary/secondary" to have a proper configuration ?

If you really must change them, you will need to break the failover by using the command no failover (make sure to make a backup of the commands first) and then re-add the commands after you have made the appropriate changes to both units.

--

--

Thank you very much for your help !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card