Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525-X with IPS module Upgrade to Firepower

tkatsiaounis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  all,

i was wondering if anyone could point me to a document containing the required information/prerequisites to upgrade my current ASA 5525-X firewalls to the newer Firepower releases.

The firewalls are covered by smart net contract until April 2019. They contain a software on chassis IPS module and they have no hard disks.

Thanks a lot in advance.

5 Replies 5

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6
I think it would help to mention what SW version you're using today.

Machines are running ASA 9.9.1.2 and the IPS is running 7.3(5)E4.

technically you will need to stop IPS, deinstall it, setup sfr module

Abdullo Salikhov
Dushanbe, Tajikistan

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The support doesn't cover any of the upgrade.

You would need to purchase the SSD for each appliance. Have your reseller also order the (no cost) Control license.

Then you need to choose which features you want to license: IPS, URL Filtering and/or Malware (AMP) and the term (1, 3 or 5 years).

Finally you need to decide on local management (ASDM - limited features and per-device configuration required even in an HA pair) or remote (Firepower Management Center - requires a separate license and a VM but has the full feature set including the ability to share policies across multiple devices)

hello if one upgrades the old IPS  or cx software running on the old boxes (which has smartnet coverage till april 2020) to the new firepower, will this extend the smartnet beyond apr 2020 which is the current end of support date by cisco

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card