Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545 interfering with HTTPS Traffic

brownmattc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a strange issue with HTTPS traffic that I think has to do with our ASA.  The basics is that HTTPS sessions around the web are extremely slow and sometimes time out.  This happens when browsing the web through Chrome or Internet Explorer but this issue is also affecting our remote VPN phones that create a SSL tunnel into our DMZ.   The phones will work for two - three minutes then the SSL connection is reset.  So I have two different interfaces (Internal and DMZ) and I am seeing the same issue with services behind both of them which is what leads me to believe that the ASA is doing something to HTTPS traffic.  What is seems to me is that the ASA is somehow inspecting or slowing down HTTPS traffic though I cannot for the life of me find any inspection policies that would apply.

This ASA has a CX module but I have not configured it to do anything.  When I login to the CX module it shows that no information, data, policies or otherwise.  So I don't think it is the CX module.

Any thoughts on how I can figure out what is going on?  Does anyone know if there are default inspection polices on HTTPS when not using the CX module?  Could there be some other service running on the ASA that could be causing this?

Thanks,

Matt

2 Replies 2

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I think the easiest way for checking this would be to go ahead and disable the redirection the traffic to the CX module and verify the issue is re-occurring or not ?

"show run policy-map" would show you if the policy is there which is redirecting the traffic to the CX and "show service-policy" would show you if this policy is applied or not ?

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Thank you for your reply - sorry that my question wasn't clear but I do not think that we currently have the CX module in use which is the hard part of the issue.

Sh Run Policy-Map:

policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
 parameters
  message-length maximum client auto
  message-length maximum 512
policy-map global_policy
 class inspection_default
  inspect dns preset_dns_map
  inspect ftp
  inspect h323 h225
  inspect h323 ras
  inspect ip-options
  inspect netbios
  inspect rsh
  inspect rtsp
  inspect skinny
  inspect sqlnet
  inspect sunrpc
  inspect tftp
  inspect sip
  inspect xdmcp
  inspect http
  inspect icmp
  inspect icmp error
 class class-default
  user-statistics accounting

sh service-policy

Global policy:
  Service-policy: global_policy
    Class-map: inspection_default
      Inspect: dns preset_dns_map, packet 9328277, lock fail 0, drop 386, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: ftp, packet 399645, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: h323 h225 _default_h323_map, packet 2158, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
               tcp-proxy: bytes in buffer 0, bytes dropped 0
      Inspect: h323 ras _default_h323_map, packet 79, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: ip-options _default_ip_options_map, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: netbios, packet 4028, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: rsh, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: rtsp, packet 49597, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: skinny , packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: sqlnet, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: sunrpc, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: tftp, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: sip , packet 136, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: xdmcp, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: http, packet 786473478, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: icmp, packet 4111478, lock fail 0, drop 17, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: icmp error, packet 15112, lock fail 0, drop 54, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
    Class-map: class-default

Default Queueing  Packet recieved 40877, sent 101196, attack 10639

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card