cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA/ASDM question

adam.zinser
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an ASA 5540 (will post revision when I'm in a position to connect) that I often connect to through ASDM (will post revision).  Back in June I pulled down the running-config through the GUI option to "show running config in new window", copied the config, and saved it to a .txt file.  In the last couple days I followed the same procedure.  This is all part of semi-annual reviews.

While the information between the two appears to be the same and accurate, I came across a curious issue.  In the June copy of the running-config my interface ACLs call the source and destination objects by their configured object names.  In the December copy the running-config ACLs call the src/dst by their IPs, rather than object names.  I've not actively upgraded the ASA since June.  I have upgraded the IPS module.

Is this a concern?  Does anyone know why this would happen?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Adam,

I don't know if its your case but there's a command ''names'' that will show the running-config with all the names (instead of IPs).

If you issue ''no names'' nothing changes besides showing the configuration with the IPs (instead than the names).

Federico.

View solution in original post

Yes.

And you can also see it (if you're logged in via CLI) doing ''sh run | i names''

Federico.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi Adam,

I don't know if its your case but there's a command ''names'' that will show the running-config with all the names (instead of IPs).

If you issue ''no names'' nothing changes besides showing the configuration with the IPs (instead than the names).

Federico.

Does "names" or "no names" show up in the running-config?

Yes.

And you can also see it (if you're logged in via CLI) doing ''sh run | i names''

Federico.

Thanks much!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card