cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Class C IP addressing, routing subnet design issue, brainstorming, comments welcome!

will
Level 3
Level 3

I am carving up an internet Class C for customer. This class C is used by 3 distinct QA, Corporate and Production firewalls. I want to carve up IP space so there is a /26 for each environment. The issue I have is the firewalls may need communication with each other via the public IP space. Currently I don’t have any L3 switches in between the firewalls and the edge internet router. So with subnetting, it would seem I need to push everything through the internet router for the intra-firewall communication.

I would rather not push this traffic through the edge router, so I came up with an idea to allocate all firewall outside interface IP’s in the 4th (last remaining) /26. That way, I can allow firewalls to communicate over the primary interface IP’s, which will all be in the same subnet – without going through a routing “engine”/device.

For the actual environment subnets (NAT's on respective firewalls), I create a static route on the edge router pointing to each of the firewall’s primary IP’s for the respective environment routes (the first 3 - /26’s).

This is still a beta design, but I have done this before on small scale when ISP gave me 2 subnets for example, assuming I was going to put a router in between the customer firewall and ISP. I would use the “routed subnet” on the ASA interface, and then pull the NAT’s from the other subnet. The ISP would have to add a static route directing the NAT subnet to the “routed subnet” correct IP - which would be the firewall outside interface primary IP.

I recently found out that with ASA OS 8.4.3 and up, ASA will not proxy arp for IP’s not in its local interface subnet. This means the ISP/router will have to assign static ARP entries on the edge router. This can get messy after the first few NAT entries. So I am debating the design now. I think this kind of stuff going forward won’t be worthwhile with newer ASA 8.4.3 code.

Any ideas on how to communicate between different ASA’s, while still carving up the Class C into usable smaller subnets? The primary reason for doing this in the first place is to support routing on the edge router. I am thinking it might be time to ask for another Class C to do the routing functions, and keep the firewalls all at Layer 2 in one /24 - Class C?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jon,

the actual version 8.4.4.5 has an option to restore the old behaviour so that you again are able to reply to ARPs from a non-connected subnet. You activate that with the command "arp permit-nonconnected".

@Will: I would tend to Johns Option 1 as it is the more "clean" solution.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I recently found out that with ASA OS 8.4.3 and up, ASA will not proxy arp for IP’s not in its local interface subnet.      

That is a surprise especially as using a different subnet than the one used to connect the ASA to the router for NAT is quite a common setup.

Anyway as we are brainstorming here are a couple of options that spring to mind. Please feel free to shoot them down

For both solutions you still have 4 x 26, the first 3 for each firewall to use as NAT and then the last /26 for the firewall interfaces + the ISP internal interface.

Option 1 

======

when you allocate the IP to the firewall outside interfaces and the ISP internal interface they come out of the last /26 range but you use a /24 subnet mask.  The router will arp out for all addresses within the /24 subnet but the firewalls should only answer via proxy arp for any statically mapped NAT entries that they have. They will answer because the /26 they use for NAT are within the range of their outside interface IP because that is using a /24.

Obviously because the interfaces are in the same /24 range they will be able to talk to each other wihout bouncing off the router.

Option 2

=======

pretty much the same as option 1 except the ISP router uses a /26 subnet and has routes for easch /26 NAT subnet pointing to the relevant firewall. This way you don't have as many arps being sent by the ISP router. The firewalls still have to use a /24 mask to enable them to talk with each other. And the firewalls and router still need to have IPs from the last /26.

Both would need testing and i may have missed something but i would have thought both would work.

Jon

Hi Jon,

the actual version 8.4.4.5 has an option to restore the old behaviour so that you again are able to reply to ARPs from a non-connected subnet. You activate that with the command "arp permit-nonconnected".

@Will: I would tend to Johns Option 1 as it is the more "clean" solution.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the info. I would have been surprised if there wasn't an option to enable proxy-arp for a non-connected subnet.

So no need for either of the options i outlined

Jon

thx jon, karsten. i appreciate the followup. i didn't mention that the 4th - /26 would be subnetted a bit so that the edge router could run on some of the IP's in this range. it wouldn't be a full /26. i kept the model simple so as to not confuse the design more for the sake of discussion. since that last /26 would actually be smaller subnets, the two options from jon would probably not work with the /24 on the firewalls as that would preclude them from routing, for example, to a /32 loopback on the edge router.

in any case, it was someone from cisco tac I believe that mentioned no proxy-arp for non-local subnet. it was in another post here on netpro. looks like cisco thought this was insecure, took feature out, but then put it back in! Sheesh! I'm a little confused, and somewhat concerned. I might just design this with /26's and the firewall interface ip's in the local subnets. That might be the safest choice.

thx again,

Will

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card