Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA - Direct redundant connection to Active/Standby cluster

Eric Snijders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I think my question is pretty simple, but i haven't done this before, and ASA in GNS3 still has some bugs so i'm having a hard time trying to emulate this.

Consider the following configuration:

c9X0K0x

So Gi0/6 between the Active and the Standby is the Failover link.
Now i want both firewalls to have a uplink to FW01, which should be redundant.

I think a "redundant interface" is the thing i need, but is this going to work the way i think it is? If i configure a redundant interface on FW01, and on FW02 the Gi0/0 interface is the "active" interface towards FW01, what will happen if a failover occurs? Will the Gi0/1 interface on the Standby automatically becomes active? Because that is exactly what i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance, and have a very nice day!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, this is not how redundant interfaces work. FW01 has no clue which ASA is active.

You need a switch between FW01 and FW02. Let's assume you want more redundancy and use two independent switches (not a stack). Then you can configure redundant interfaces on FW01 to these two switches.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

No, this is not how redundant interfaces work. FW01 has no clue which ASA is active.

You need a switch between FW01 and FW02. Let's assume you want more redundancy and use two independent switches (not a stack). Then you can configure redundant interfaces on FW01 to these two switches.

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for the info and the fast reply.

So if i get this straight, this is the way to go:

610PHnk

In this case SW01 is a stack so should connect Gi0/0 from FW02_act to the first stack member, and Gi0/0 of FW02_stby to the second stackmember, right?

You have multiple options here. I would connect FW01 with an EtherChannel to both stack members. For FW02, you can connect FW02-primary to the first switch and FW02-secondary to the second switch. Or you can connect both ASAs with two interfaces each to both switches for even more redundancy but also increased complexity.

Thanks again Karsten!
I think we only have 1 physical port left on FW01 so i guess i'll just connect that one to SW01 pretty simple. For FW02 i can at least bring in some redundancy.

Thanks again and have a very nice day!

Hi Karsten,

Is it preferred to configure EtherChannel or redundant interfaces from FW1 to the switch?

Thank you,

Tamara

If the switch is one logical device, I would prefer to use EtherChannels. Only if you have two switches and these devices are independent (no stack, VSS or something like that) then I use redundant interfaces.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card