cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Failover support

Brett Martin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, Can an ASA 5515-x and 5525-x firewall be configured as failover pairs? I read they must be identical platforms? Anyone have an explanation?

Thank you!

Brett

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What you read is correct, the platforms must match.

Brett Martin
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Collin!

I have another question, is it possible to set these firewalls up in pairs using HSRP and OSPF to create a redundant inter-site link? There will be a pair of 5515-x/5525-x at location A linking to an additional set of 5515-x/5525-x at Location B. I would like all traffic to be traversing between locations using the 5525-x pairs over a VPN, however, if one of the primary firewalls fail or the link between them is down, I would like the set of 5515-x firewalls to carry traffic and revert back once the original failure is corrected.

HSRP is not supported on the ASA. You could do some IPSLA/tracking to achieve the failover. Could you do a 5515 pair at one site and 5525 at another or are you concerned about the throughput in the 5515?

Is IPSLA best to be configured to point to the remote firewall for tracking state?

Is OSPF a better option for the fact that this would provide firewall and link redundancy--i.e. primary can route through secondary if primary link fails? If so, I am using VPN's to connect the 2 sets of firewalls. Would OSPF need to be setup to directed unicats vs multicast for neighbor communications over VPN?

Thanks Collin!

There is the rub. The ASA's will not establish a (routing) peering relationship across the VPN tunnel. You'll have to create a GRE tunnel between a router at each site and then peer across that. The VPN tunnel is just a transport. Routing across VPN tunnels with redundancy can be a PIA. IGP really doesn't matter.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card