Views
Helpful
Replies

Asa Memory issues

josephium
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have 2 ASA 5540 in active/standby mode runnig version 7.2(4) and i would like to ask about 2 things .

1- the cisco ASDM memory display is different than the show memory result in ASA, any thoughts about that ?

2- i monitor the memory through an snmp software, and i have noticed that since 3 days ago , the memory has been slowly increasing, about 1 mb every 15 minutes or so, it was 130 Mb on Friday , now it is 470 Mb, everything is normal connections and translations ... is there a way to know what is the process or bug causing this ?

Thank you

7 Replies 7

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

How much is the difference between both ASDM and CLI? If you failover to the other unit, do you have the same problems? In percentage, if you do a show mem, how much do you see utilize?

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If memory keeps creeping up and does not go down at times then this could be a memory leak defect. I would recommend opening a case with TAC because it would require some advanced troubleshooting to track it down.

As for the ASDM discrepancy this could be cosmetic, we have seen it in older ASDM versions. We would need ASA and ASDM versions to see if there is an existing defect.

I hope it helps.

PK

Thank  you for your answers.

well to clarify and answer your questions.

1- the difference betweein show mem and ASDM mem display was huge, i was seeing with the show mem 139MB but with the ASDM 470MB and going up ( and this is the same number i saw in the SNMP software).

2- i activated the failover and the same issue did not occur ( at least until now) , so when i activated the failover unit, the memory was only 130 MB and it didn't go up litlle by little as it was doing in the primary unit.

and if it is a memory leak shoudn't it happen also on the activated failover unit, since they have both the same software version exactly. ?

thank you again

Ohhhhh

Very important question, the memory going up, are you seeing it on the SNMP or on the command line? You are totally right, if it was a memory leak, it should happen in both units.

We need to determine the following.

On the primary Unit

You see the memory increasing also on the command line? Or it is just on the ASDM and snmp?

On the secondary Unit

The memory is steady in all of 3 ?

Let us know.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Thank you Mike for your reply,

to answer your questions.

before i forced a failover, the memory was increasing on the ASDM and snmp software, but on the CLI it was:

Free memory:       962265400 bytes (90%)
Used memory:       111476424 bytes (10%)
-------------     ----------------
Total memory:     1073741824 bytes (100%)

whereas on the ASDM and the SNMP it reached before failover : 487 MB

now after i failedover , the new primary  unit is running steady , no increase in memory at all but to note that the ASDM and SNMP software shows for 3 days now 129 MB and the show mem on the CLI shows :

Free memory:       963945952 bytes (90%)
Used memory:       109795872 bytes (10%)
-------------     ----------------
Total memory:     1073741824 bytes (100%)

Thanks again

hi again , plz does anyone have an idea why the above happened, and why the difference in memory display between cli on one hand andASDM and Snmp software on the other ?

Hi Joseph,

So, no change on the CLI output is that correct? The only thing that I want to discard is a cosmetic issue as Panos already suggested. If the memory does not seems to be increasing on the CLI there is nothing to be worried about, however, if you need this to be addressed, I think it would be better to open a TAC case.

Cheers.

Mike

Mike
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card