cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Micro BFD

Pim Scheffers
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if any cisco ASA version supports Micro-BFD (RFC 7130) ?

I'm having a hard time finding it in the documentation so probably not.

maybe in an upcoming release?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pim Scheffers
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the replies, but i think it's clear ASA doesn't support micro bfd

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Why you are looking for BFD?

Do you have IGP you need to fast recovery by bfd?

MHM

Do you have IGP you need to fast recovery by bfd? YES

BFD is already running on the ASA, i'm looking to convert it it to Micro-BFD because it's connected the a Nexus VPC
When 1 of the links of the port-channel now goes down bfd is killiing the igp that's why i need micro-bfd RFC 7130

you run PO between ASA and vPC or redundancy interface ?

@Pim Scheffers, sorry if I'm asking something stupid, but are you talking about IGP through the ASA or to the ASA? So far as I know, ASA OSPF has not been integrated with BFD running on the ASA: the "CSCvh56774 ENH: Request to add BFD support for OSPF on ASA" enhancement has not been implemented. Also,

router ospf ...
 bfd all-interfaces

is not available on the ASA (although I don't have latest version of the code in hands). Why does OSPF fail in this case when one of port-channel links goes down?

tvotna
Spotlight
Spotlight

One ASA BFD is used 1) to support fast BGP fall-over and 2) for health monitoring and failure detection inside failover subsystem. For LAG monitoring and failure detection ASA/FXOS uses LACP. Micro BFD is not supported. Why do you need BFD on LAG interfaces?

So the setup is ASA with port-channel to nexus VPC pair - which connects to cisco asr1001-X also with a port-channel
between the ASA & ASR1001-x I have multiple bgp neigbourships with BFD fall-over configured 
If i pull a link or reboot a switch from the vpc pair i see  bgp neigbourships being torn down because of bfd which i can prevent if micro-bfd was supported, hope it's clear like this

Did you use bfd multihop also?

Since ebgp is multi hop then bfd need to be multi also

MHM

ebgp CAN be multi hop but it's not in this case the bgp neighbours are on the same segement.

I also don't read in the documentation that when you use bgp it MUST be multihop bfd i see loads of examples where it is single hop.

or maybe i'm misunderstanding

ASA-NSK-ASR 
BGP run between ASA and ASR 
the traffic pass through NSK L3 and it count as Hop 
so BFD need to be multi in ASA to detect ASR 
MHM

The nexus doesn't do L3 it's L2 Switch

can I see the ASA BFD and BGP config 
also 
show etherchannel summary <<- in NSK

MHM

Pim Scheffers
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the replies, but i think it's clear ASA doesn't support micro bfd

ASA not support micro BFD we agree
but ASA one link down loss BGP is not OK
the NSK see one link of PO not two, that Why when this link down the ASA loss BGP

anyway consider this NSK with vPC and PO sometime have issue 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card