cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA-X Firepower IPS License?

Brandon Brown
Level 1
Level 1

I keep reading that the protection license is included with the firepower module.  So how do I find and activate the license if I don't care about updates?  I own a 5506X for home for studying purposes mostly, but also as an edge firewall and VPN.  I'd like to play with the IPS.

"A Protection license is automatically included (along with a Control license) in the purchase of an ASA FirePOWER module. This license is perpetual, but you must also purchase a TA subscription to enable system updates."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firesight/541/firepower-module-user-guide/asa-firepower-module-user-guide-v541/Licensing.html#pgfId-8388117

Edit: In case it wasn't clear... I do not have the license key and do not know where to find it.

8 Replies 8

yogdhanu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

If you have the firepower module on ASA, you can contact license team licesning@cisco.com along with your PAK no. to get the licenses issued and apply it either via ASDM or via FMC (if you have it).

This link might help.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firesight/541/firepower-module-user-guide/asa-firepower-module-user-guide-v541/Licensing.html

Hope it helps,

Yogesh

And where would I get the PAK?

Hi Brandon,

You can contact either the reseller/partner from from where you brought the device.

If brought directly from cisco, you can contact them  @"licensing@cisco.com" with the sales order no. and they can provide you PAK if that is included with the purchase.

Provide them with the license key as well from FMC/ASDM and they can issue licenses as well.

Hope that helps,

Yogesh

In case it wasn't clear... I do not have the license key and do not know where to find it.  It looks like other models that we have came with a cardboard package with a control license, but this one did not.

@yogdhanu wrote:

Hi Brandon,

You can contact either the reseller/partner from from where you brought the device.

@if brought directly from cisco, you can contact them  @"licensing@cisco.com" with the sales order no. and they can provide you PAK if that is included with the purchase.

Provide them with the license key as well from FMC/ASDM and they can issue licenses as well.

Hope that helps,

Yogesh

When you launch ASDM and have configured the module initial setup from cli, you can then use ASDM Configuration > FirePOWER section to redeem and PAK and apply the resultant license. ASDM itself will provide a license key.

Normally you would also have the PAK for the Control license but if you don't, Cisco should be able to provide it for you given the ASA serial number (and assuming it was correctly ordered in the first place). The PAK, along with the ASDM license key can then be used to download a license file and activate the Control license. If no Control license was ever ordered in the first place, it is a zero cost item which can also be ordered after initial purchase.

How do I order it at zero cost? The license team won't release the PAK
because I don't the have the PO from a year and a half ago. They kept
missing the fact that it's supposed to be free. They kept asking for a
business name as well and I repeatedly explain Ed that it's my personal
ASA. I can't send them anything from a corporate email if its not
associated with a company at all.

The part number for the zero cost control license is ASA5506-CTRL-LIC.

If that wasn't included in the initial order then it would have to be ordered separately. It's not very customer-friendly for sure; but that's the way it is.

Brandon Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have an answer to this?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card