cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa5510 ios upgrade

jschweng
Level 1
Level 1

We have two asa5510 appliances which are currently running ios version 8.2(3)

We would like to upgrade to the latest version but Im concerned becuase i have heard there

are significant differences in the ios versions later than 8.2(3) and don't want to break any of our current configuration

For example - ive heard that NAT is done completely different

I don't know what else.

These are the later versions that are available - can any of them up used to update our appliances without breaking the current configuration

is there any recommendations?

8.2.(5)

thank you in advance

Jeffrey Watson

LMCO engineering

3 Replies 3

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Martin,

If you have no specific reason to upgrade then I woudl not suggest you that. It shoudl be done if you are hitting any specific bug or a new feature that is present in the new version then you should upgarde.

If you intednd to upgarde to version 8.3 or later, I woudl first suggest you to go through the release notes of the version you decide and also go through this doc:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12690

If you don't want any nat changes that happens on ASA 8.3 or later, then you can upgarde to version ASA 8.2.5 which is the latest in 8.2.x train.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

ok thanks

if I stay in teh same train with 8.2(5) are you sure there are not any NAT changes.

I just installed these firewalls and I really don't want to have to redo everything

Is there any documentation that says what the differences are in the releases beyond 8.2(3)

Hi Martin,

Yes, there are no nat changes in ASA 8.2.5 version. Here are the release notes, check the new features:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/release/notes/asarn82.html#wp431562

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Please do rate helpful posts.

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card