cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5516

aajoshi
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at buying this firewall https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXY16LK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AMSSWE236JND5&psc=1

I have seen a lot of pricing difference from 1700 to 4200. What is the main difference? Also what additional licenses do I need with this? I am trying to asses what I need. I tried talking to 2 different cisco partners, but since this is a small purchase none of them care!

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's your purpose for using it? Home lab, small business production firewall or something else? The answer to that determines the license(s) you need.

The one you linked is FTD image. An ASA 5516-X can be run as a classic ASA with ASA software image (and optional Firepower service module) or as a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) with Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) image.

Either mode can do basic firewall features with no additional licensing. To use the "next generation" features (IPS, URL Filtering and Malware Protection) you need to add licenses. They are available separately or in packages for 1, 3 and 5- year terms. There's also remote access VPN ("AnyConnect") in either basic ("Plus") or Advanced ("Apex") also with associated license terms.

Finally there's the support contract ("Smartnet") that also has an associated term and cost.

As you can imagine, the cost can vary widely according to which features you need and how long your want to buy the term license for.

Thanks Marvin. This is going to be our corporate firewall at our corporate office. Currently I only have about 7 employees but we are hiring a few more. (definitely not more than 25) in the next year or so. Where do you buy the licenses from? 

The firewall on amazon was half the price than some other vendors quoting me. So I am not sure if its a good one or whats going on. If it doesnt work I will send it back!

Also are the prices published somewhere?

Cisco typically doesn't publish their prices publicly. They prefer working via third parties (partners) who can better advise customers on the specific SKUs and associated prices, including discounts, that are best suited for their environment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card