cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Botnet filter questions

Ronald Nutter
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting ready to implement the Botnet filter feature on several of my ASA's.  Having read through all of the documentation, I still have a few questions.  Wanted to see if anyone here could answer these before I opened a TAC case -

1) After enter the license key for the feature, will I need to reboot the ASA before I will be able to start configuring/using the feature ?

2) I have a pair of ASA's in active/standby configuration, will I need a license key for both ASA's even though only one is active at any time ?

3) I was only just told we had bought the licenses.  After looking at the Purchase Orders, it is apparent that we actually bought the licenses 7 months

ago.  Will the licenses be active from the date I install them or have I lost 7 months of use ?

Thanks,

Ron

1 Reply 1

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ron,

First question, very good one, after version 8.2 there are some features that required reload, some others not, however, cisco did a great document for updating the license on failover pairs, with or without need to reload, please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/license/license82.html#wp195282

The second question, it depends on the version that you are running, if running version 8.3 or higher, you dont, if running version 8.2, you will need to have a license for the standby unit as well.

If planning to move to the version 8.3 to avoid purchase of the other license, i strongly recommend you to read the release notes as the hardware requirements change a bit and the NAT configuration also changes.

For the third and last question, IT SHOULD run from the moment that you install the license only, not for the time of the purchase.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Mike.

Mike
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card