cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Browsing through VPN

neteng
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems getting browsing to work through my VPN tunnel. I am using a 3005 running 3.5, I am using the 3.03-b-k9 client on my system. The problem is this, I log onto the VPN, everything goes fine, but I can't browse network neighborhood. I can do a \\hostname or \\ipaddress and get to the computer I want to access, but there is no browse list. Has anyone had this issue? is it correctable? Or is this just a case of netbios not working with the implementation? Thanks in advance for any help.

ryan

21 Replies 21

Hi,

I've just posted a question about Terminal Services, I wonder if you could take a look and maybe shed a little light please?

Cheers

Ali

mbarys
Level 1
Level 1

We had the same problems at our company. I worked with Microsoft and they said that is was a corrupt WINS database. So I deleted them and had them recreated and it seemed to work. Give that a try. Also, the Microsoft tech wanted me to make sure that on the servers that had the WINS services, they had their WINS entries pointing to themselves. For instance, if 192.168.1.4 is the primary WINS server, make sure that under IP, the WINS servers listed are itself. Hope that makes sense.

Matt

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem after a migration from a vpn "cisco2600 to cisco2600" to an vpn "PIX515 to cisco2600"

Before the migration network browsing was working properly and then, no way to see the other side.

I permit all ip from one side to the other (so I think wins, netbios should pass through)

Is there any special command in the PIX to let browsing through ?

How long does it take to see all the computers in browsing ?

thanks

chris

We are also have the same problems as everyone has discussed. I have been to the Cisco VPN classes, and no resolutions and I have also place a call in with TAC. They have test the WINS problem, and everyone possible solution that has been listed, still no results. I believe it may be just a compatibility bug. Any other ideas?

This is a very old string, can you be more specific on which software versions you are using as well as what OS you are on. There are several issues that have been fixed but some are OS related.

Kurtis Durrett

We continue to have the same problem. I can connect just fine and ping all over the inside of my network - but try to resolve a name? NO WAY! Everything is configured correctly and I am running the lates release of both the VPN 3000 software and the latest CLIENT software. Been working with the TAC and they have provided some good ideas - but - still nothing!

Hello all,

i think Cisco has already identified your problems. In general browsing the network neighborhood is officially not supported but it will work if configured correctly. And by the way, Broadcasts cannot go through an IPSec tunnel.

Please read this Document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080194b4a.shtml

best rgds

Karel

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card